Friday 6 August 2010

Sea Minor's 5 Great Crime Novels


Over at Spinetingler, the following question was asked:

If you could give someone 5 crime novels that for you represent everything great about the genre, what would they be?

What a great question. Simple and straight to the point.

Brian Lindenmuth has compiled the answers that were received. You can find them for yourselves at:

http://www.spinetinglermag.com/2010/08/06/five-great-crime-novels/


The question might be simple, but finding an answer most certainly isn't.


I've been thinking about how I could answer.

I decided to spread things around a little - period, place, style.
I'm not going to give explanations but might say that a list put together tomorrow might be slightly different.

Here goes:


Crime And Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
Clockers by Richard Price

The Night Gardner by George Pelecanos

Double Indemnity by James M Cain


I'd like to think that whoever I gave the books to, they'd find something there to suit and I have to confess that I've changed it 3 times already. Still, it'll be up in two minutes and I'll stick by it.


You will not agree with this list, of course. How could you?


But if you think it's easy, go over to Spinetingler and put your neck on the block. See how easy you find it.


No comments:

Post a Comment